The Bakijai Branch is a branch of the Office of The Deputy Commissioner which is primarily responsible for the recovery of government dues from defaulters. The term 'government dues' covers a wide gamut of dues that includes loans from government-owned banks and non-banking financial institutions, industrial loans from government-owned corporations etc. This branch is looked after by an Addl. Deputy Commissioner/Assistant Commissioner as per the orders issued by the Deputy Commissioner and he/she is assisted by dealing assistants and other Gr-IV staff and interpreters. The branch officer exercises his/her powers as specified under the Bengal Public Demands Recovery Act, 1913, to recover dues from defaulters and the officer is well within his/her powers to issue arrest warrants and cause civil imprisonment of the defaulters.
- Corresponding with the government-owned financial institutions and corporations
- Initiation of recovery proceedings from defaulters
- Corresponding with police authorities regarding default cases
- Maintenance of information pertaining to default cases
- Collection of recovered dues and handing over to the respective institutions
- Adjudicating dispute cases relating to loan recoveries
- Dealing with any other law & order issues that may arise out of recovery proceedings