Apply for ST certificate
- Must be an Indian Citizen
- Must have proof of permanent residency
- Must belong to a tribe recognized as a Scheduled Tribe in Assam.
Scheduled Tribe status has been accorded to certain communities in India as per the provisions of Article 342 and 366(25) of the Indian Constitution which were promulgated to ensure greater representation and fast-track development of the listed communities due their backwardness, cultural distinctiveness and lesser level of overall development. Certain benefits such as reservations in educational institutions, government jobs and a multitude of welfare schemes have been extended by the governments at the centre as well as the state to members of communities which have been accorded Scheduled Tribe status. Hence, a scheduled tribe certificate becomes a prerequisite for being eligible to avail of such benefits. Such certificates are issued by the office of the Deputy Commissioner in the districts.
- The Applicant should be a citizen of India
- He/She must be a permanent resident of Assam
- He/She must belong to a tribe that is recognized as a Scheduled Tribe of the state of Assam
- Permanent Resident Certificate or any other proof of residency
- ST Certificate of parents or any other supporting proof of tribe status attested by Gazetted Officer
- Affidavit by the applicant or parents of the applicant in lieu of (2) above
- Report of Gaonburah in case of rural areas/Ward Commissioner in case of urban areas (This may be skipped if parents of the applicant have already been issued ST certificates
- Recommendation of President/Secretary of All Assam Tribal Sangha or any other Apex body of tribal oprganizations authorized by the government as the case may be
- HSLC Admit Card/Certificate or Birth Certificate for proof of age
- Voter ID card or Certified Copy of Electoral Roll (self or family)
All application forms shall be received in Public Facilitation Centre (PFC) in Office of the Deputy Commissioner, Haflong and in Office of the Sub-Division Officer (C), Maibang. The application form and documents enclosed shall be scrutinized in detail at the time of receipt. Every application form shall be issued an acknowledgement receipt wherein the applicant shall have to be informed of the date of collecting the certificate. All applicants shall be issued their ST certificates within fifteen (15) days from the date of receipt of their respective applications. Any objections/reasons for rejection of an application shall be communicated in writing to the concerned applicant within fifteen (15) days from the date of receipt of the application.
However, if the designated officer is of the opinion that further enquiry is required, then the application shall be forwarded to the concerned Circle Officer/ARO or Autonomous Council authorities for enquiry and report shall be completed within fifteen (15) days of receipt of the same. The whole process should be completed within thirty (30) days from the date of receipt of the application.