The Census Branch, as the name suggests, is a branch of the Office of The Deputy Commissioner which spearheads the Census exercise in the district that is undertaken in India once for every decade under the directions of the Office of The Registrar-General & Census Commissioner of India. The Census is a decadal exercise that is carried out throughout the country with the districts being the base units of the exercise where the Census branches perform their respective roles under the directions of the Deputy Commissioner. In the state, the Registrar-General & Census Commissioner of Assam is the nodal authority. This branch is looked after by an Addl. Deputy Commissioner/Assistant Commissioner as per orders issued by the Deputy Commissioner and is assisted by a dealing assistant, Gr-IV staff and personnel from other departments whose services are requisitioned from time to time.
- Preparation of Census exercise plan
- Requisition of personnel from external departments for conduct of Census exercise
- Liaisoning with North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council for land & revenue matters
- Liaisoning with other external departments for information and verification of the same
- Liaisoning with the Office of The Registrar-General & Census Commissioner at both the state and centre
- Handling office communication in all matters pertaining to Census
- Imparting of training to requisitioned staff for Census exercise