The Magistracy Branch is a branch of the Office of The Deputy Commissioner which looks after all the magisterial aspects of administration in the district. Magisterial powers are bestowed upon the officers of IAS/ACS cadres who are eligible to function as magistrates vide relevant sections of Indian Penal Code, Criminal Procedure Code, Civil Procedure Code, Indian Evidence Act etc. These powers are to be exercised in the resolving of matters in the civil and criminal aspects of administration in a district. Therefore, all relevant subject matters where it is mandatory for a magistrate to participate in the proceedings are looked after by this branch which is typically headed by an Addl. Deputy Commissioner/Assistant Commissioner as per the orders issued by the Deputy Commissioner and he/she is assisted by a team of dealing assistants, Gr-IV staff and interpreters.
- Initiation of proceedings under relevant sections of IPC, CrPC, CPC etc.
- Receipt of applications for gun licence and consequent examination and grant of the same
- Correspondence with the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate, High Court, Tribunals etc.
- Receipt of applications for Marriage, Divorce certificates and consequent examination and grant of the same
- Receipt of applications for Legal Heir Certificates and consequent examination and grant of the same
- Receipt of applications for Legal Guardianship Certificates and consequent examination and grant of the same
- All other matters related to law & order in consonance with the relevant acts in force