The Sales Tax department in the district works under the direct supervision of the Commissionerate of Taxes, Govt. of Assam and is under the administrative control of the Deputy Commissioner in the district. As the name suggests, this department is entrusted with the recovery of taxes that are due from the commercial activities undertaken in the entire district. The department has regulatory as well as compliance functions as per the taxation laws prevailing in the state as well as the centre. The department in Dima Hasao is headed by a Superintendent of Taxes and is assisted by tax inspectors and office administerial staff.
- Collection of taxes payable to the government
- Assessment of tax collections in the district
- Monitoring of tax payments made in favour of the government by entities/individuals
- Assisting law enforcement agencies in cases of economic offences
- Monitoring of TDS and GST collections
- Evaluation of filings for tax returns
- Liaisoning with the state Commissionerate of Taxes